TIMELINE: Duration: Date of Inception: 1st January 2018; Date of End: 30th June 2019.
About the Program: Adolescents, children, women, youth, men, small and marginal farmers, landless agricultural laborer’s and laborer’s in unorganized and organized sectors are severely affected in the unequal distribution and denied access to land and water resources. Hence, the cluster programme on Land and Water tries to address the issues ; Changes in water regime, Shift in ownership of management of natural resources, decline in the health of watershed, unfriendly programs and policies of the Government, crop change over, land issues, increased health issues,
land alienation of the people in the name of development project land degradation in terms of soil infertility and low productivity , top soil erosion due to mono cropping pattern, de-forestation , environmental degradation : Decreasing / diminishing green cover, reduction of bio-diversity, contamination and depletion of ground water , increasing quantum of plastic waste even in rural areas, extreme drought situation and depletion of animal population / livestock.
Implementing Partners: Total Partners: 10
Geographical Reach: 10 Central Tamil Nadu Districts, 16 Blocks & 63 Panchayats and 134 Villages3 zones and 9 slums in Chennai City, Tamil Nadu.
|1||Total Number of States||1|
|2||Total Number of villages||134|
|3||Total Number of GP’S||63|
|4||Total Number of Blocks||16|
|5||Total Number of Districts||8|
|6||Total Covered Population||151839|
|8||Male & Female (population)||75275 & 76564|
|9||SC & ST Population||7381 & 1778|
Highlights of the Programme:
- Baseline Survey on Land and Water Status available for 134 villages.
- 134 Village Level Watch Committees formed.
- Nurturing of Water bodies and Rain Water Harvesting in all villages through Volunteering.
- 10 Mass Awareness Programme on Land and Water & Health related Lifestyle diseases.
- 1700 Volunteers in each of the Partner Locations.
- 500 persons trained on Poultry, Rearing Milch Animals, Bullocks & Fisheries.
- Interface with 200 educational institutions in 10 districts.
- Framer taught to practice water thrift techniques by saving run off water and using it judiciously through drip irrigation and erecting bunds and linear trenches.